Make Your Own Cozy Indoor Shoes
February 20 – 21
Learn the basics of shoemaking to make a cozy pair of indoor shoes custom made for your feet. Follow the steps from design to construction including pattern making directly on your feet, to sewing the upper, creating a padded sole, and assembling the shoe. There are options for hand and machine sewing. The simple design is customizable with fun embellishments, the only limit is your imagination. Using your choice of materials such as felted wool fabric which you can use solo, or add garment weight leather, the shoe can be as padded, embellished, or simple as you desire. The supply list will have all the materials and tools needed, with options for customization, to come prepared to make a comfortable pair of indoor shoes.
Footwear artist and teacher Malika Green will guide you through every step of this calm and structured activity to embrace your winter joy. Make a pair for yourself that is just right, and gain the skills to make more!
Two, 2-hour live Zoom sessions, Saturday and Sunday, February 20 – 21, 2021, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm (EST)
PLUS a PDF print out with helpful diagrams and a resource list, as well as access to a private Facebook page for sharing, and additional consulting/instructing.
Level: Suitable for all levels
Student Age Group: Teen through adult
Class size: Maximum 12
Fees: Members $145 / Nonmembers $160
THIS IS AN ONLINE CLASS. A Zoom link will be delivered to you upon confirmation of registration. You must have Zoom installed on your computer or device to attend this workshop.
- Wool Felt Fabric- roughly I yard for womans’ size 9, can use multiple colors
- OR You can felt an adult size wool sweater to make felted fabric. (For best success, the sweater should be100% wool and says dry clean only. To felt a wool sweater wash it in a top loaded washing machine with hot water. Dry on hot.)
- OR Knitters can also felt wool that you have knit, just follow calculations for shrinkage.
- Garment weight leather* (optional- can use for the upper of the shoe as well as the sueded part for the sole)
- Thread or yarn for sewing- wool yarn is great, but sewing thread is fine too. Nylon thread is best for sewing leather
- Hand sewing needles to fit the thread or yarn
- Fabric scissors
- Fabric Pins/or Small binder Clips (if using leather)
- Fabric measuring tape, ruler with cm
- Sueded piece of leather or denim* (if making soft sole shoes)
- Pair of flip flop soles in your size* (if making hard soled shoes)
- Soft batting to pad the shoe or store-bought insoles
- Barge rubber cement (2 oz is fine) or Shoe Goo
- Sewing machine- will make the assembly faster but not necessary
- Puff paint to decorate the soft sole
- Yarn or embroidery thread to embellish the shoes
- Snap off utility knife and cutting mat if doing decorative inlay/overlay in leather
- An awl is helpful if you’re sewing leather by hand
- Any decorative applique/ribbons/ etc you fancy to decorate the shoes
- Sewing elastic (if you want elastic in the heel)
*A note about the supply list. The instructor has left the items customizable. Please reach out with questions.