It is through our volunteer Museum Educators (Docents) that we are able to actively engage our patrons in the contemporary craft world.
Museum Educator Volunteer Description
Do you have a passion for contemporary craft, art, decorative arts, or museums in general? At Fuller Craft Museum, we offer visitors the opportunity to enhance their appreciation of contemporary craft through guided tours and lively conversations.
We are currently seeking volunteers who enjoy working with the public and assisting visitors to share the Museum’s exhibitions and collection with the general public by conducting guided tours. Museum tours are approximately forty-five to sixty minutes in length and focus on key points of our current exhibitions and collection and are a vital link between the Museum and its visitors.
Museum Educators-in-Training complete an introductory training seminar, study selected readings, are paired with a Mentor, and shadow other Museum Educators on guided tours to gain knowledge and skills in interpretive strategies and touring techniques for groups.
Commitment: Must be available year-round, Attend twice monthly team meetings to learn new programs, explore content, practice activities and share ideas. Fuller Craft Museum Educators deliver program experiences mostly on weekday mornings, as well as occasional weekends. Demand is heaviest in the fall through late spring, though programs take place throughout the year, including the summer months.
REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FULLER CRAFT MUSEUM DOCENT PROGRAM
• Be at least 18 years old of age.
• Enjoy meeting and working with new people.
• Have a strong interest in contemporary craft and art.
• Have access to and regularly use e-mail.
• Have flexibility in your schedule and can commit to one year, 4 hours per month.
• Can attend docent meetings on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month.
• Strength, dexterity, and mobility to perform all duties (to include standing, walking, and stair-climbing) as needed.
• Pass standard background check.
Benefits of being a Fuller Craft Museum Volunteer Educator:
• Complimentary dual/family Museum membership (includes 20% discount on Gift Shop purchases, invitations to private Museum events and programs, discounts on admission to public programs).
• Ongoing enrichment programs featuring expert lectures and field visits to other sites of interest.
• Annual social events, including the annual Appreciation Luncheon.
• Free parking.
HOW TO BECOME A MUSEUM EDUCATOR
1. Candidates must first complete the application (available online) which is to be submitted to the Education Coordinator.
2. The Education Coordinator will contact the candidate to schedule a brief meeting to determine match.
3. Once appropriate placement has been determined, the candidate will attend a docent orientation meeting, at which time the candidate will be given required reading on Museum collection and contemporary craft to be completed before the first docent training meeting.
4. Next the candidate must attend docent training meeting(s), be paired with a docent mentor and shadow a minimum of three (3) scheduled tours before satisfactorily completing a mock tour in order to begin volunteering as a Museum Educator.
Deadline for applications is August 1, 2017 for training that will begin in September 2017. Interviews will be conducted during Summer 2017. Applicants will be notified shortly thereafter whether they have been accepted to the program.