- This event has passed.
Pottery Open Studio
September 26 – December 12, 1PM EST
September 26 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 1:00 pm on Sunday, repeating until December 12, 2021
Open studio is offered exclusively for Fuller Craft Museum Members with prior experience in ceramics and need a studio to work in. There is a studio monitor but, no instruction. Session fee includes use of all Fuller Craft Museum ceramic studio equipment including: Wheels, sink, hand building tables, wedging table, throwing tools, wire tools, and other hand tools located in the ceramic studio as well as firing and glazing. Membership to Fuller Craft Museum is required.
Open Studio is recommended for those who are familiar with the ceramic process, don’t need hands-on instruction, and feel confident working independently—both hand building and wheel throwing are available during Open Studio times. An Open Studio monitor will be present to assist with orientation to the studio.
Glaze, storage space, use of our clay tools, access to the pottery wheels, and firing and glazing for work that is completed during the given time frame is included in the Open Studio fee. No outside clay or glaze is permitted during Open Studio.
This is not a drop-in program, space is limited and must be purchased in advance.
Please follow all Open Studio rules. For those who are new to clay, we recommend one of our Intro level courses.
- Rate: $150.00: TEN (10) weeks of Open Studios (your own storage shelf to keep your tools, clay and artwork.)
- NO CLASS Holiday weekends: 10/10/21 and 11/28/21
- Fees: Clay $25/25 lb. bag (may be paid for at front desk)
Open Studio sessions are subject to change and are supervised by a volunteer.
Open Studio participants must be 18+ with previous experience. All work must be collected or glazed within two weeks of creation. Work left in the studio in any stage (green, bisque, or glaze fired) for more than two weeks will be discarded. Please be respectful of our shared space—move your creations through the process.
Clay Studio Rules:
To sustain a creative, safe, and healthy studio environment, we ask everyone to review the information below before beginning working and adhere to each point.
- Wheels are available on a first come, first served basis.
- Open studio members are assigned two shelves per person to house all in progress work, and materials
- Write your name on all your personal items, including bags of clay, tools, and materials. Fuller Craft Museum (FCM) is not responsible for the disappearance or security of personal items.
- All working areas must be cleaned after use. The last 15 minutes of open studio hours is dedicated to gathering tools and cleaning work tables, floors, tools, and other equipment. This is a communal studio and its cleanliness depends on everyone doing their part.
- Using FCM tools is allowed. They must be cleaned and returned them to proper receptacle after use. These tools are for everyone to use while in the studio and may never be borrowed, stored on shelves, or taken off the premises for ANY reason.
- If a tool should happen to break or if a piece of equipment is not working properly or a supply is low, please bring it to staff’s attention immediately.
- If you don’t know how to use something – don’t use it! It is always okay to inquire if you have ANY questions.
- All students must follow general safety protocols.
- There is absolutely no eating in the studio! This isn’t healthy for you and we want to keep the studio clean.
- Conserve resources as much as possible. Use cloth towels instead of paper towels.
- Place clay scraps in the appropriate labeled buckets.
- If you should become injured while working please report the incident to your teacher or a staff member immediately. Your safety is our priority!